ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Camp Storylines

SLivingstonII

Jan 20, 2011
I meant to post this a week ago, but I don't think it's too late now. CMU still hasn't had Media Day yet. Here's 10 storylines to watch as we progress through camp. Some will have a big effect on CMU's success in 2013 and some are just things that need to be sorted out, but most of them are the latter. Btw, CMU opens at Michigan in just 20 days.

1) Starting quarterback

This is the first time since 2010 that the Chippewas have entered fall camp without having a returning starter at quarterback. Even then, most CMU folks figured Ryan Radcliff was going to be the starter. It's really been seven years since CMU had quarterback battle in camp and they have three guys (Kater, Niznak, Rush) this year that are all talented, capable quarterbacks. I think all three still have a legit shot, but who is in the lead right now really depends on who your inside source is. It's the first question at almost every presser and it's going to be like that until Coach Enos announces the starter on August 26.

2) Starting quarterback

That's not a typo. I'm putting this at No. 2 because it's that big of a storyline and it's that important for CMU's success in 2013. Any time there is a quarterback battle, it's big. I think it's bigger now because of who the winner will follow: the two most productive quarterbacks in CMU history. The rest of the offense doesn't have a ton of questions. If the starting quarterback can step in and play well, this could be an elite MAC offense.

3) Finding defensive playmakers

Tyler has talked about this a ton. With the loss of a Jahleel Addae, along with the loss of a few defensive ends and cornerbacks, the defense will be looking for playmakers. Aside from Addae, this is something that CMU has lacked for a few years. This void could be filled by Cherocci and Benton at linebacker or Cunningham on the back end, or maybe a young defensive back. But they need to get it somewhere. The offense should be very productive. How well the defense plays could be the difference between a six or seven win year and possibly contending for a division title.

4) The two open starting spots in the secondary

It looks like Jason Wilson (CB), Avery Cunningham (FS) and Jarret Chapman (SS) will be starters in the secondary. CMU needs to find another cornerback and their second strong safety. It looks like the strong safety spot is going to come down to Tony Annese and Kavon Frazier, but that cornerback job is wide open, with up to four guys competing for the position.

5) Pass rushers

This defensive staff has had to resort to creating a pass rush with a lot of blitzing over the past two seasons because they haven't been able to find defensive ends that can consistently rush the passer, with the exception of Caesar Rodriguez for a short bit at the tail end of last season. I think Enos is aware of the issue because whenever you ask about freshmen playing, he always mentions the defensive ends that are coming in. It's easier to create blitzing mismatches in a 4-2-5, but it's a lot easier to get stops when you can get a pass rush from a traditional source at defensive end.

6) The starting linebackers hype

Justin Cherocci and Shamari Benton are getting a lot of love from prognosticators in preseason All-MAC teams. Both played well last year. Cherocci was a tackling machine and Benton showed flashes of potential, especially in the Motor City Bowl (okay Pizza Bowl...it's always be the Motor City Bowl to me). The Chippewas need these two guys to live up to the hype if the defense is to take another step toward being a better unit. CMU needs playmakers on defense and these are two guys that have[/I] to provide a spark.

7) Replacing Cody Wilson

Let me say this to start, the Chippewas are loaded at receiver. They might have the best WR unit in the conference. Titus Davis is one of the best players in the conference. After that, CMU has Courtney Williams and Andrew Flory that have both had some good games. Even guys like Jerry Harris, Defarrel Davis and Jesse Kroll could be significant contributors. However, CMU doesn't have a guy that has worked the middle of the field from the slot because that has been Wilson's job the last few years. In reality, it's probably not will CMU find somebody to do this, but who do they get to do it. The WR corps is too talented to not find somebody able to get catches and yards underneath the secondary.

8) Starting kicker

David Harman has been real solid for the Chippewas for the past three years, hitting 37-of-48 fields goals since 2010. CMU needs to find a starting kicker after Harman's departure. The job will most likely go to redshirt freshman Ron Coluzzi, but if Coluzzi doesn't play well, Matt Cotiguala or possibly Connor Gagnon could step in. Whoever wins the job obviously steps into a critical job. In my mind, this is a bigger question mark than a new quarterback because I know that CMU is getting a talented player at quarterback. Not that Coluzzi isn't talented, there's just less of a track record (aka game tape) from him and rest of the kickers.

9) Jake Olson's health

In case you forgot, two years ago, Jake Olson was supposed to be the CMU offensive tackle that was going to turn into a NFL draft pick. While Fisher was turning into a No. 1 overall pick, Olson was struggling with injuries. He might be as talented as Fisher. He certainly has the frame to get drafted next April, though probably not in the first round, but first, he has to stay healthy for a season. If he does, that's going to help the Chippewa running game and the new quarterback.

10) Return game candidates

There's a lot of candidates and Coach Enos mentioned them earlier this week. Saylor Lavallii and Courtney Williams are probably back at kick returner, even though Martez Walker and Maurice Shoemaker-Gilmore could push Lavallii and Williams. At punt returner, the Chippewas need to replace Cody Wilson. Candidates include Titus Davis, Lavallii, Flory and even Tony Annese.
This post was edited on 8/11 10:19 PM by SLivingstonII

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News